Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
Despite having this post ready to go for Wednesday, I came home from work to find a half-eaten cinnamon loaf. Normally, I love when my family treats themselves to my baked goods. In this case, I was horrified because I hadn’t taken any photos yet! A day late and two loaves later, I’m so excited to share with you my recipe for a sweet cinnamon swirl loaf.
Although the Christmas season is creeping upon us, I’d like to try and preserve the remainder of autumn. As previously mentioned, cinnamon is one of my favourite flavours of fall. Not to mention, baking anything with cinnamon makes your house smell incredible!
The sweetness of this loaf reminds me of a delicious pound cake without the density. It’s incredibly smooth but has a crunchy cinnamon sugar crust and it pairs perfectly with a hot coffee. If you’d like to make this more of a dessert, consider adding a cream cheese icing drizzle!
In terms of ingredients, I went with unsalted butter so I could control the amount of salt that this loaf needed. I also love cinnamon and always add extra, so feel free to reduce the amounts to your favour.
Another important ingredient (as observed in my Classic Vanilla Cupcake recipe) is the sour cream, which transforms the mixture into a creamy batter. I’d recommend choosing full-fat sour cream for this recipe to maintain the texture of the loaf.
To add, ensure that your butter and eggs are at room temperature. Softened butter makes the process of creaming butter and sugar much easier, and baking with room-temperature eggs ensures that you are working with their full volume.
I’d love to hear how this recipe turns out for you. It won’t be much longer and I’ll be starting my countdown to Christmas, so keep an eye out for more delicious recipes coming your way real soon!
CINNAMON SWIRL LOAF
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cup flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
1/3 cup sour cream
5 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp + 1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
2. In a large bowl, beat the softened butter with sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated. Add in the vanilla extract and sour cream, beating until combined.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined.
4. Remove ¾ cup of batter to a small bowl. Mix in 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon, and 1 tbsp milk.
5. In a greased loaf pan, alternate layers of batters, and swirl together. Top the batter with 2 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
6. Bake for 1 hour then allow the loaf to cool completely in the pan.