Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes
As we’re pulling up on Halloween, I’d like to take the time to honour my absolute favourite treat - Chocolate! I would give away every last piece of candy for the smallest of chocolate bars, without a question. Lindor truffles are my absolute weakness. I’ve made myself sick eating these but I simply just can’t get enough.
I’ve already covered the vanilla cupcake so I’d like to give you guys another classic staple recipe that never fails for me. This chocolate cupcake recipe has been used for many cakes and varieties of cupcakes because it’s super easy, incredibly moist, and it tastes delicious! I’d recommend using Hershey’s cocoa powder to send the chocolate flavour over the top. In addition, remember to refrain from using heavy oils that may change the taste and texture of the cupcake. The oil is the secret weapon- it helps to ease up on the density so you’re left with a fluffy cupcake that’s perfectly chocolatey!
If you’re making a chocolate cupcake, go hard or go home! Referring to the cream cheese icing, it’s the perfect richness that’s needed for a delectable chocolate cupcake. Chocolate buttercream could never do what this icing does. I noted that you may want to use a teaspoon of milk or two to thin out the icing. I was happy with the consistency and therefore did not thin the icing out, but it’s totally your choice. If you go too far, just add a little more powdered sugar to bring back the thickness. I decided to pipe this icing in dollops using a #1A round tip. I ended up having a little left over, but this may not be the case if you pipe using a star tip.
To my fellow chocoholics, I sincerely hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. Keep your eyes peeled for next week- I’m so excited to share with you a totally spooky and delicious Halloween treat. There’s no tricks allowed around here!
CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE CUPCAKES
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 18 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Dash of salt
Lindt Lindor chocolate truffles, any flavour, halved
Cream Cheese Icing:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
Milk to adjust consistency
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with vanilla and milk. Add this into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
4. Scoop the batter into the liners. Place the tray into the oven for 5 minutes. Remove the trays and pop half of a truffle into the centre of each cupcake. This is SUPER important as the chocolate may sink to the bottom if you place it into the unbaked batter!
5. Return the trays to the oven and allow them to bake for another 15 minutes.
6. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
1. Beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
2. Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
3. Add the cocoa powder. Continue to beat.
4. If needed, you may add a teaspoon of milk at a time to thin the icing to your desired consistency.
5. Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes. Top each cupcake with a full Lindt Lindor chocolate truffle.