Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Cheesecake
Every time I come across a new confection in stores, I can’t help but think about how I can use it in my recipes. Typically, it’s easiest to turn these confections into cupcakes but if you can't tell by now, I do love a good cheesecake! You can melt down any chocolate truffle and add it to a cheesecake batter and you’ll end up with a different cheesecake every single time. Not only can you choose from white, milk, or dark chocolate, but there’s another multitude of flavours that complement chocolate bases. When working with confections, the possibilities are seriously endless.
Although my basic cheesecake recipe usually follows the same structure, this week I wanted to highlight a special holiday truffle from Lindt that I discovered and made an incredible cheesecake! I believe that these chocolate peppermint cookie truffles are only available in stores during the holidays, but are possibly available in a Lindt store or to order online. This year was actually the first time I saw this particular flavour of truffle, but when I spotted them, I knew that the simplest addition would create a delicious mint chocolate cheesecake.
I actually made this cheesecake for a friend of my dad’s who visits my house pretty frequently and has a major sweet tooth. He requested a cheesecake of any kind, and I love experimenting with new flavours, so it was totally a task that I took on with pride. When I spotted these truffles for the first time, I immediately asked if mint chocolate was fair game because I know that it’s typically hit or miss for some people. He actually wasn’t sure if he liked mint chocolate or not, so I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity for exposure! This cheesecake ended up getting incredible reviews, and my ego grew a little larger!
We’ll be taking a little break for a while but my next recipe will be coming to you on May 5th. I’ll definitely be incorporating a little Cinco de Mayo inspiration into my recipe, so keep your eyes peeled for what interesting treats I can come up with!
CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT COOKIE CHEESECAKE
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
1 1/4 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
1/4 cup melted butter
3 8 oz. packages of cream cheese
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. peppermint extract
Approx. 12 chocolate peppermint cookie Lindt Lindor truffles
1/2 cup crushed Oreo cookie chunks
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine Oreo crumbs with melted butter, and press onto the bottom of a springform pan. Top the crust with full Oreo cookies.
3. Beat softened cream cheese until smooth. Beat in eggs, sugar, and peppermint extract.
4. Melt the chocolate in a saucepan. Add the chocolate into the cheesecake mixture and mix until evenly distributed. Fold in the Oreo cookie chunks.
5. Pour cheesecake batter onto the prepared crust and Oreo cookies.
6. Bake at 350F for 1 hour and allow cheesecake to cool in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
7. In a microwave safe dish, heat the heavy cream. Pour over the chocolate and whisk until the ganache comes together.
8. Pour the ganache over the cheesecake and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Top with cookie crumbs, chopped chocolate truffles, and whipped cream.