Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
Week five of my countdown to Christmas is here and it’s just as delicious as ever! This week, I’ve almost finished my Christmas shopping, my house is fully decorated, all while working in retail, I’ve basically (almost) had the life sucked out of me. It’s been quite a busy week with work and school, so baking has been on the back burner for a little, but I have so many ideas I want to share for the future!
I’m really determined to make Nanaimo bars. I’ve never tried to make them before, and my family usually ends up buying a box from Costco, but this year I’m committed to only homemade desserts! I decided to sacrifice Nanaimo bars for this week and go for a recipe that’s still super delicious, but great when you’re short on time. If you don’t see Nanaimo bars next week, I promise you that they’re coming eventually! But for now, here’s a recipe that combines two of my favourite elements into one delicious treat.
My mom gave me a recipe once for chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of it myself! They were so delicious. I decided to take the idea and switch up the recipe so that it included my chocolate chip cookie recipe, with a few modifications to make it more of a square and less of a cookie. I also used semi-sweet chocolate chips to cut the sweetness a little, but you can switch it up to suit your taste. These bars are so delicious and chewy, and perfect for a cheesecake lover like myself!
We’ve got one more recipe coming before we take a little break for the holidays. However, I have a ton of recipes to come, so check back to see what else I’m whipping up after the holidays. I can’t wait to show you what you can do with that Terry’s Chocolate Orange in your stocking. Hang onto it… I promise I’ve got a real masterpiece in the works!
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE CHEESECAKE BARS
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Chocolate chip cookie dough:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line an 8x8 dish with parchment paper.
2. In a stand mixer, cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar.
3. Add in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla, scraping down sides of the bowl.
4. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined.
5. Press about 1 in. cookie dough into prepared pan.
6. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread onto cookie dough in pan.
7. Drop dollops of remaining cookie dough into the cheesecake mixture.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, and allow to cool completely before cutting.