Amanda's Classic Vanilla Cupcakes
When I started my baking journey with @amandameghanbakes, my goal was to share photos of my aesthetically-pleasing baked treats and had no intentions of sharing my precious recipes! However, my favourite part of baking was sharing treats with my loved ones, so it seems only fair that I share some of my favourite recipes with you.
And what better recipe to first share, other than a deliciously fluffy classic vanilla cupcake?
I can honestly say I’ve experimented dozens of times to create the best vanilla cupcake. I’m even ashamed to say that I’ve resorted to box mixes in the past because I could never produce a cupcake that I would even deem satisfactory. Are you having the same dilemma? Look no further. This is the best. This one gets all of the compliments. Don’t ever attempt another recipe after this one!
The ingredients are super simple. All-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda… the usual. But the secret behind this recipe? The sour cream! It’s the miracle ingredient that turns this cupcake dough into an incredibly creamy batter. Check out that texture!
These vanilla cupcakes are dense enough to support a lovely dollop of buttercream, yet light enough that they melt in your mouth. The texture starts off a little lumpy at first- but when these cupcakes bake, the clumps of butter melt and send this cupcake over the top! I mix these up all the time to add different fillings and baking flavour extracts- it never fails! Pictured above are my classic vanilla cupcakes, stuffed with a huge chunk of white chocolate.
I topped these cupcakes with a classic American buttercream. I’ve tried them with a white chocolate buttercream and a cream cheese icing as well. Switch it up, and let me know how these cupcakes turn out for you! They are guaranteed to up your baking game. Everyone needs to master a vanilla cupcake recipe- let this one be yours!
CLASSIC VANILLA CUPCAKES
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar using an electric mixer for approximately 2 minutes, until pale yellow and glossy.
3. Add softened butter and vanilla, and beat until just combined. The mixture WILL be lumpy! You’ll be mixing other ingredients later which will give the butter a chance to work out the lumps.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. The mixture will resemble more of a dough than a batter at first. Keep it going until everything looks nicely combined!
5. Add the sour cream. You’ll notice it come together as a thick, creamy batter. Be careful that you mix enough to work out the large lumps from the butter, but do not over-mix the batter!
6. Prepare a muffin pan with cupcake liners. I use an ice-cream scoop to evenly fill the liners. Fill until ¾ of the way full.
7. Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes or until just golden.
8. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.